My older son loves oatmeal cookies. A few weeks ago, he decided to try making a batch himself. Since then, he’s made them 4 different times. In doing so, he took the All Recipes Oatmeal Cookies recipe and based on his preferences, he tweaked the ingredients each.
The result? A Perfect Oatmeal Raisin Cookies recipe to share with you! These have the optimal balance of buttery and sweet, chewy goodness with the tang of raisins my family loves.
Recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 3/4 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 Cup white sugar
- 1/2 Cup trans-fat free vegetable shortening (butter flavor)
- 1/4 Cup butter (softened)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 Cups rolled oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup raisins
- 3/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat shortening and butter along with both sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Watch my son’s demonstration video to see how easy it is to make these perfect oatmeal raisin cookies. Enjoy!