Have you been in the mood to cook lately? With this heat, it’s hard to motivate! What grabs my attention lately are fresh summer recipes that look easy.
I first saw this on Gwyneth Paltrow’s website, GOOP and thought the presentation was so beautiful. I decided to give it a try.
Doesn’t it look manageable when you see all the ingredients in one shot?
I doubled the vinegar and replaced vegenaise (eggless mayo) with real mayo from the original recipe.
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or use apple cider vinegar!)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1 large scallion, thinly sliced
2 large, firm but ripe avocados
coarse sea salt
1 lime, cut into quarters
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the shrimp with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
2. When the shrimp are cool enough to touch, remove the tails and cut shrimp into ¼-½-inch pieces.
3. Place in a medium bowl and toss with grated ginger, mayo, champagne vinegar, chopped cilantro, and sliced scallion. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
4. To serve, cut each avocado in half, remove the pit, and season each half with a pinch of coarse sea salt.
5. Spoon ¼ of the shrimp mixture into each half.
6. Serve with a spoon and a quarter of lime to squeeze over each portion.
This was delicious, but I will use apple cider vinegar next time to give it more of a tang. A great dish for company and a perfect summer lunch!
Flavor Your Life with an Ounce of Salt. A lifestyle blog by Jen Oliak.