In my 20s, I visited a bed and breakfast in Rhode Island with my friends. We were served the most delicious cranberry orange scones for breakfast…I ate 3 in one sitting! When the owner of the Inn gave me the recipe, I was shocked at how easy they were to make.
I used to make these scones all the time. It was the first thing I cooked for my husband when we started dating! For some reason I forgot about them until I was in cooking class today with a completely unrelated theme.
These scones are so easy and they are soooo good. They aren’t too sweet, which makes them perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Ingredients For Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 Cups Flour
- 7 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbs Grated Orange Rind (fresh is best but spice section rind is fine too)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Egg
To brush on top of scones before baking:
- 1 Tbs Milk and 2 Tbs Sugar
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Tbs Orange Juice
Directions for Cranberry Orange Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bow, combine the next 4 ingredients.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, lightly knead 6-8 times.
- Pat dough into an 8 inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Separate and place on an uncreased baking sheet.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 for 12-15 min. or until lightly brown.
- Drizzle or brush glaze on top of scones.
You’re going to love these. Enjoy!
Watch this video of my son making these scones to see how easy it is!