In my 20s, I visited a bed and breakfast in Rhode Island with my friends. We were served the most delicious cranberry orange scones for breakfast…I ate 3 in one sitting! When the owner of the Inn gave me the recipe, I was shocked at how easy they were to make.
I used to make these scones all the time. It was the first thing I cooked for my husband when we started dating! For some reason I forgot about them until I was in cooking class today with a completely unrelated theme.
These scones are so easy and they are soooo good. They aren’t too sweet, which makes them perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. I usually make a double batch. Heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds and they’re even better!
Ingredients For Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbs Grated Orange Rind (fresh is best but spice section rind is fine too)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice (use the fresh oranges you got the rinds from if you can)
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Egg
To brush on top of scones before baking:
- 1 Tbs Milk and 2 Tbs Sugar (rock sugar here even better)
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Tbs Orange Juice
Directions for Cranberry Orange Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bow, combine the next 4 ingredients.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, lightly knead 6-8 times.
- Pat dough into an 8 inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Separate and place on an uncreased baking sheet.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 for 12-15 min. or until lightly brown.
- Drizzle or brush glaze on top of scones.
You’re going to love these. Enjoy!
Watch this video of my son making these scones to see how easy it is!